10 step “How to” guide from Kars4Kids on donating a boat to a charity
Part III in Donation Process Series
- Locate your charity’s phone number or website. Here is our charity’s contact info
- Fill out the easy form with basic details of your boat. Including but not limited to:
- year, make, and model
- overall aesthetic condition of the boat and overall mechanical condition
- Title, name on title, registration, and trailer for the boat.
- Address of boat pickup location
- Mail or email pictures for charity to determine if they can receive your donation.
- Receive confirmation from a tower when and where the boat will be picked up.
- Remove all personal belongings from your boat.
- Contact the yard or marina in which boat is kept notifying them that it will be picked up by a charity.
- Once boat has been picked up (sometimes later after the boat has been sold in auction) receive a tax deductible receipt from the charity (both emailed and mailed) in place of a 1098-c IRS tax form.
- Receive a vacation voucher or some other form of promotion from your charity.
- File your taxes either by yourself or with your accountant. (in California and some other states fill out a release of liability form).
- Enjoy the fruits of your generosity!
Always be in touch with the charity, the tower and anyone else to be on top of your property. Don’t expect that everything will be handled without your vital input. This IS an easy process but take care of your personal property.
For more details in how to research a charity here are some previous articles.
Great article. Thanks for the info, it’s easy to understand. BTW, if anyone needs to fill out a 1098-C, I found a blank form here http://goo.gl/h9ce2H. This site also has some tutorials on how to fill it out and a few related tax forms that you might find useful.
Hey Paul – Thanks for your response. I really appreciate you taking the time to read and comment. I try to give readers something engaging and informative without being too boring and dry. 🙂 If you wish there’s a lot more that I’ve written and lots more to come. I actually just posted a new one just now on working with different personality types.
Look forward to hearing from you.
You can also follow me @gebby120 or my comments on Kars4Kids @kars4kidsEDU
Also Paul – That 1098-C online form looks great! Thank! I will be sure to include it in future posts.
a good move, donating not just money, this is another form of donating that can be done
other forms become useful for the environment around us and for others